Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Cloth!

Okay. I'm sure you've heard... I'm ...cloth diapering.... *gasp*. That's right. And I LOVE IT! I only wish I had started with Nelson. Talk about a money saver! It's still saving money just doing Kash but not as much as it would have if I were using more hand me down diapers than new ones. It's not the old thin flats with giant safety pins and ugly plastic pants. They have more modern version of those AND cloth diapers that function and are easy to use just like a disposable. I've tried several brands and still have some to try but am already learning what my favorites are. There are flats (that you have to fold to get multiple layers of absorbancy), prefolds (like a flat that has been folded and stitched down so you don't have to fold it), and fitteds (like a prefold that has been cut into the shape of a disposable and elastic added to the legs and waste) that all require a diaper cover. These were the "scariest" options to me so I have yet to try them. I have some on the way though because I've done more research and they are not only cheaper, but appear to be pretty easy to use, wash, and the covers come in adorable patterns and colors! You can just let the cover hold it in place (they wrap around like a disposable diaper), you can use an old fashioned diaper pin, or you can use a new invention... the snappi.... to hold it together. I'm excited to try these soon. I started with gdiapers, a hybrid diaper that you have a cloth exterior, a snap in water proof pouch that you put either a cloth or a biodegradable flushable insert into. They have worked great and are a great intro for those who are a little scared of going full fledged cloth. Plus they are really trim and cute. Cute is important! I just find they have to be changed more frequently and aren't as good for overnight use. I've been using FuzziBunz perfect size, too. It's a pocket diaper. They fit really well and are super easy. It's like a waterproof cover with a stay dry lines that has a pocket that you stuff with one of their absorbant inserts (or a prefold like I do sometimes). I also just use them like a cover and lay the insert or prefold right on top and wrap it around Kash. My favorite diaper though is another pocket diaper. The Applecheek. It fits amazingly well, is easily adjustable to get a truly PERFECT fit and their inserts are super trim and SUPER absorbant! Plus they are just plain cute on him! They come in two different sizes ranging all the way up toddler days. In fact, today Jack wore one of the size 2's that I bought for Kash to use later. I was avoiding the car seat toilet incident today. It fit him perfectly and he really seemed to like it. It wasn't so "diaperish" feeling to him. I put him in it tonight too with a Fuzzibunz insert and a Blueberry insert to boost it. I'm expecting no leaks! He's also been using Kushies overnight with no leaks but the others feel and look more comfortable to me. Another option for cloth diapering is AIO or AI2 (all in one or all in 2) which basically means it's a diaper and waterproof cover all in one or all in 2 peices that snap together. And, you can get any of the diaper styles I've mentioned in except the gdiaper brand, in a one size fits all. That means it should work from birth to potty training by adjusting snaps for the rise, and sometimes elastic (like the wonderful adjustable waist pants you can buy for kiddos these days) for the legs and waist. We own 3 of these and I have found that they are just too bulky for newborns. I've heard from others that around 4 or 5 months they start fitting great. And really, I guess since newborns aren't moving too much bulkiness doesn't matter but I just prefer not to use them. Except at night. We can stuff them with extra inserts and get a good 10 hours of night time out of them.





Well... that's the beginning of our cloth diapering journey. I'll fill you in on the washing/drying part next time!

No comments: